Thursday, February 9, 2012

Cheap and Easy

I am a mother of  8 and  these words mean a lot to the family budget and my sanity. When school Valentines come due I do not want to spend a mint on candy or cards. Candy is what 4 to 5 dollars a bag these days and 2 for 5 if you are lucky? This is how I do it cheaply. I did it all at home other than a few supplies picked up while I was already out on errands.
Sheets: $10.00 Target
Frame:$5.00 Target Sign in frame printed at home.
Clothes:Let's be real, just grab something that works from their closet. Not many of their friends give a hoot about what they are wearing, they just want the candy.
Candy: Dumb Dumb's, purchased at Target $7
I always use the " I'm a sucker for you" saying because suckers are cheap.
Printing: Costco $20.86 Mr.M. just brings them home for me.
Chairs: They are from my game table and a time out chair.
So Valentines for 5 kids cost me $42.86
 I dont know maybe that is not cheap at all but I like homemade Valentines and this is how I do it and keep it low budget. My other kiddos never want to be left out of a good time so here are some fun outakes. They even made poor Daisy pose with them. Reluctantly as you can tell.
 

Tankster had a slight warddrobe malfunction.
Speaking of cheap I found new shoes for all the kids at $3 dollars a pair the other day. Some kids got 2 pairs and some kids got one or two for later and I spent a whoppin $51.00 I love a bargain!

5 comments:

Jenni said...

first off...shoe sales are the BEST~ I have shoes for my kids for years cause we hit an awesome sale once! :) And CUTE valentine's. I only have boys in school, so we just printed off a cute "bug jar" thing and bought some $ store bugs and it cost a total of $10 for all 3 boys...not too shabby and FUN! Oh, and those sheets are soooo awesome! Wish I had a target closer!

tammy said...

Love the pics - and the shoes!!

" Hit It......." said...

Love the pictures. I especially love the one with The Tankster's pants on backwards. Save that and hold it over his head when he is a teenager!

I also love saving money...I am a bargain shopper too. I am impressed with the shoe purchase. I couldn't pull that one off.

Happy Valentine's Day next week.

Pedaling said...

I love bargains!

Kids are endlessly rather expensive--but there are ways to raise them on a budget.

Your tips are way more hip than the ones I followed when mine were young.

mCat said...

What a great idea on the Valentine's. I too dreaded the school exchange, not because I had a lot of kids, but everyone elses was so cute, creative and hand made. My poor boys had to pass out the cheap scoobydoo ones