Tuesday, March 29, 2011

Bubba, My adoption story

Bubba had a birthday. We love this kid!

Whats not to love?
He is funny.
He is LOUD.
He loves with all his heart.
He has an addiction to anything Lightning Mc Queen or Toy Story.
His hugs are meaningful and tight.
He is sneaky.
He is always dirty, hands and feet all the time.
He is smart.
He can read.
He is a south Paw
He loves his brothers and sisters.
When he came to our family he stole my heart. I had just had to say goodbye to Little H for a while and my heart was breaking. They brought over this small 6 month old boy with a funny head  and no muscle control. He had a bulging belly and eyes and his head was sunken in on one side. The most angering part is he came from a foster home. He had been in care from birth. Born premature and drug exposed. they told us right off the bat that he would more than likely stay with our family.

It did not take long for us to have him holding up his head and then sitting and then crawling. He never cried for attention and that made me sad. We fixed that too...... It is amazing how children realize so quickly what they were missing. He slept through the night from the get go. We had to watch his weight. He has never gained weight easily, still doesn't. We went from thinking he would for sure be ours quickly to sending him to his birth parents 3 to 4 days a week shortly after he turned one. They were having another baby (our Wild Thing) and CPS thought they could make it. He hated it, he screamed for them and was so sullen when he was home. I prayed and cried a lot. How can they do this to these kids, my kids? How do they think these kids can possibly cope at such young ages with all this change. He had never lived with his bio parents and had no bond.One day I received a frantic call from Bio Mom that all was not well at their house and she was frantic. It was ugly the things she told me. I was horrified my boy had been exposed  to such things. Bubba was home for good that day and Wild thing became a part of our family full time too.As it turns out his birth Mom has always been honest and accepted responsibility for her choices. When confronted with suspicion by the case worker she fessed up to having slipped.  I Love his bio Mom. I respect her for recognizing that she could not be the parent he needed, she told me this.  " I am too young, I am an addict and I had no business having children. I want to do what is best and I know you can give my boys a better life." She stopped fighting and her and Bio Father sat down in a mediation with us and both signed off parental rights to Bubba only. I email her and and I let the boys see her once a year. She has come full circle, is doing well and is in collage.  We are grateful every day for our Bubba.

He is truly a hoot. So full of life and laughter. He was adopted at the same time Sweet K was and sealed to us on two days later. This kid may single handidly make me crazy, but I would not trade a moment of him for anything. Love you Bubba!!

8 comments:

" Hit It......." said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
" Hit It......." said...

Darn it..you always make me cry! It upsets me so much how people can abuse a child and still have rights to them. We had to work so hard for my two. I thank the Lord every night that I am their mother. When having children doesn't come easy; it is hard to understand how another human being cannot value a precious life.

I sure hope you print out a book of your blog. That way, when your kids are older they will understand just how much they truly mean to you and your hubby.

Jen said...

I am LOVING reading their stories! You can feel the love you have for these kids through your writing, love it!

Anonymous said...

He is the definition of boy :) I love that you that about him.
What an amazing story. So glad he is yours.

Pedaling said...

He's a cutie. Sure enjoy hearing the background stories of your children.

tammy said...

He's always had a special place in my heart too. Maybe it's his story, or maybe just that smile.

mCat said...

What a resilient child and kudos to you and hubby for helping him through it.
Also respect for bio mom for recognizing what was best for her kids. Takes a big person to do that.

Happy Birthday Bubba!

Anonymous said...

I left out the word *love*. hopefully you understood what I meant :)