
These teens and so many others. Those definately are not todays style of dress, and these do not resemble modern transporatation in any way.

Hand carts, replicas of those pulled by pioneers so many years ago. Pioneers who walked 20 to 30 miles a day to reach destinations unknown, lands unsettled, and to face hardships unimaginable to you or I. These sat empty as they awaited there 10 to 12 seventeen pound a person bags. That was the limit in weight you could take with you. Not only this last week for these teens, but in pioneer times as well. What would you take with you? Seventeen pounds for a journey cross country that can now be traveled by airplane in mere hours. I drove two hours there in my air conditioned car, listenening to some of my favorite tunes. I was glad to be all alone. A rarity for any Mom. I stopped for drinks and snacks. As I drove off of the pavement onto bumpy, rocky fire roads winding through AZ's rim country, I worried about ruining the rims on my Husbands SUV. Seems kind of shallow at times. The worries I had that don't even compare to what those faithful saints and pioneers sacrificed to settle areas yet to see much of civiization. The pioneers I refer to did it for religeous reasons. They did it so they could worship free of persecution. They did it so I could still enjoy that freedom today. My job on this trek was to simply photograph each "family" as they headed out on their three day journey. I was amazed at what I witnessed. Modern day teenagers shedding all civilty and modern devices, dressing in clothing not hip or cool. No cell phones, no internet. They chose to go, chose to take a walk back in time. Chose to see, if only a glimpse, what it must have been like to be those who sacrificed so much so they could worship as they please. What Character! What conviction! They were smiling and ready for the challenge.

Ready to pull all this weight as a team. To work together, to eat, sleep, and travel as a team, as a family. None,or few truly related to each other, but still willing to call themselves a family and work as one.These Pioneer Treks are done church wide.

Those in charge set up real life challenges or trials along the trail. At times angels were there to help ease the burdens. I evaluted my self as a person and mostly as a parent. I hope I can model and instill the same strength of character and convition in my children as I saw in these teens that were so willing to do something that seems so "uncool" in todays society. Would you be willing, if only for few days to shed all you know and step back in time to catch a tiny glimpse of the sacrifice made by those who came before you? I have to admit, I am not so sure my smile would be so big. I am impressed though by the pioneers of old and those who stepped into their shoes this week. I am grateful I had a chance to have even the smallest part in it!!
7 comments:
These pics give me the chills. They are so real and I can't help but be filled with emotion.
Love this post! We are leaving in a few weeks to do trek at Martin's Cove. I am so excited!
You got some amazing pics. I could do the trek now. Not so sure I could have done it back then (which is probably why I live now).
AWWWW! I totally loved that experience... it was simply AMAZiNG!
Great pictures! Lookslike a great experience. Our ward is doing a trek this summer but my it's only 14-18 yr olds. My 12 and 13 year olds will have to wait for the next time.
That's AWESOME! I was never able to go on a trek, though it would be an AMAZING experience! :)
my kids are going soon.
now, how do i get you here to document it all?
Post a Comment