Thursday, March 26, 2009

Sweet Calm Mornings

Are what we FINALLY have around here!!!


Since Lightnings first day of Kindergarten we have struggled to get him out the door with out a major familial blow out, and with the exception of a few days of calm every day has been a major struggle. I am NOT exaggerating. There have been mornings where I wanted to run away or pretend I had a horrific disease in order to stay in bed safe and sound. To get out of bed and face the morning knowing what I had to face would have me dodging all small people on my way to our office. Once inside the office, with the door shut, I would read my scriptures and hide. I would pray for the best each day and when I left face the worst. We tried everything....... he lost privileges, toys, T.V., Computer, and his DS. One day he was sent to his room and missed part of school. Finally it dawned on me and I figured out a way to solve the problem. One was more attention one on one, because he clearly was trying to tell us something and we were missing it. Two was I took several things away with no chance to "earn" them back any time soon. The things he lost have been taken away semi-permanently. He told me it didn't matter he could get things back. So he was being good just long enough to get his stuff back, and then he was right back to his old antics. He is now is up, dressed, and feeding himself before I can sneak out of my room. He practices his piano with out any games. It has been this way since before spring break and I want to cry with relief. Mornings are GREAT around here. I don't dread getting out of bed and facing the day again. He's a sweet boy, and I think because of his age and the fact that he sees the "baby" games we play with the littles, he wonders why he does not get so much attention. I have struggled to find ways to give him the much needed attention at his age level. I decided to focus on his interest and meet him in the middle, it seems to be working. I sure LOVE my small man! I want him to know he's loved with out having to do the "wrong" things for attention. Dang this parenting thing is sure tricky!!!!!

5 comments:

andrea said...

Hooray! I'm glad things are working for you....and you aren't kidding about the tricky part. Many, many days I want to go check into a spa for a week. Or two. Or three! ;)

onehm said...

I'm SO SO GLAD! I know we've talked about this alot, and I've never had very good advice for you.
Starting the day out happy is a great way to go!

Anonymous said...

Good for you for sticking with it and figuring it out! That's great news, here's to sweet, calm mornings!

KayDee said...

Congrats:) What a good thing to have peaceful mornings! Hopefully this will last at least until he is 14 or 15:)

tammy said...

You really are such a good mom. Even when it's tough. These kids are yours for a reason.