Monday, July 14, 2008

INCENTIVE


Trying to find ways to make each child at my house feel important is a HUGE challenge.!! I realize when things get really harry and my kids are out of control is when they are not getting enough Mom or Dad attention. It always calms down if I slow down and spend some time just holding them or playing with them. A lady I was talking to once who adopted kids with big issues gave me this idea . I finally found just the right plate for the job. When a kid has done something special or had a great day or just didn't whine to much they get the "you're special" plate at dinner. Only one plate per house hold. We told the kiddos about the plate and told them to earn it you had to be on your best behavior and be kind to one another and that Mom and Dad would be on the lookout for good deeds and great accomplishments. My big kids are really the only ones who understand at this point, but they sit at night waiting to see who earned the plate and who gets to king or queen of dinner time. I thought I would have to go to As You Wish and make my own plate but I was at Seagull Book book last week and found this plate for a buck. It fit the bill perfectly and so far my kids are remembering that they get noticed at dinner and we make a big deal out the good deeds and behaviors that earned that special some one the "you're special "plate that day.(If you click on the pic you can read the plate better) Give it a try at your house. It really works!! I also noticed it helps us and the kids to look for the positive in each other.

14 comments:

Jen said...

Cute idea!!! I love it!

Devri said...

We sort of do something like that, when you have a lot of children, it is hard to point out all of their great qualitys all the time, but each need it. Great idea!!

Devri said...

ps. I am so interested in how you came to get these precious children, can you post it, or comment on my blog, I am a lover of adoption, when I am done having children we will adopt from Tonga..
We have a good friend who has had 4 and adopted 8. Is that to much to ask from a stranger?

Tamee said...

Love the plate. And the kids running around in the rain. I do remember to JOY that comes from the monsoons. We get a good rain about every five days out here. It's great! Not looking forward to the heat.
Speaking of which, the girls and I are coming home on July 21 and staying until Aug 7th. I'll give you a call.

Ashley Dent said...

I love this idea! I have a friend who does this as well, and I've been waiting for my kids to be old enough to understand. It's such a good way to help our kids and sometimes ourselves see the positive and not dwell on the negative!

Cajsa said...

I LOVE IT!!!!!

Crissybug said...

What a great idea...and the fact you found the plate for a buck!!...makes it even better. I will have to see if they have any more.

Crazymamaof6 said...

that is the perfect plate. and great idea. and fabulous price! way to go!

Laurie said...

This is why I love your blog- you are my mommy therapist. What a great idea!

KayDee said...

I love the Plate(it is so cute) and the Idea!

Anonymous said...

What a great idea, might have to snatch that one up! Did you make it or buy it? Thanks for sharing!

tammy said...

How cute is that? Fabulous idea!

Dawn said...

I love it! What a great idea. Thanks for sharing.

blah, blah by lindsey said...

what a great idea!! i will have to try that.