Sunday, July 6, 2008

THE HEBER FOLLIES!

This entire trip was one accident or mishap after another. We took it all in stride and had a great time in spite of ourselves!! We got out of town a little behind schedule, which actually worked out to be perfect. Grumpy and tired described everyone best. We got to Payson checked into our hotel and found out the only room they had was on the 2nd floor and they have NO elevator. We hauled 8 peoples things including two pack and plays up the stairs!! Knowing we would be getting back very late that night and would have to haul sleeping kids and the rest of our stuff up them UGHHHH!! We headed to Heber realizing it was going to be cooler and wetter than we planned. We found our parking place and not long after it started to rain pretty hard and we realized as we headed for cover we were locked out of the car. Layne called a locksmith while I ran for cover with the kids to a baseball dugout on the field. $40.00 dollars later we were back in our car and the rain had stopped. They have the yummiest pulled pork sandwiches which Layne and I had, while we made the kiddos eat hot dogs. The food is soooo cheap. Gotta love it!! We then proceeded to loose Smiley but found him quickly, PHEW.... We watched the amazing fireworks right over our heads. The sounds echo off the canyon walls. We loaded the kids and went to start the car. OH, the battery is dead. The kind people next to us gave us a jump and we headed for some much needed rest. The kids get filthy dirty waiting for the fireworks and they love every minute of it! It is so worth the drive. We spent the night all eight of us in a tiny hotel room and Mom was too tired to do much exploring so we decided to come straight home this morning. We should have went hiking and pic-nic-ing w/the kids like planned because we got stuck behind a car fire for an hour in the heat on the way back down the mountain. GOOD TIMES....GOOD TIMES!!!! I would do it all over again. It was an adventure but we were together as a family and we had a great time!!!! I did get a few pics before the battery died on my camera. I was not sure how to document our mis-adventure so I did it twice:)

13 comments:

Micah and Jen said...

What a great story....and Heber is my most favorite place to watch fireworks....Nothing beats the sounds & sights of laying on the ground there with them RIGHT over your head! It's amazing! Sorry your trip wasn't super great....but way to go being so optomistic! :)

tammy said...

Wow, craziness! We've had trips like that, and can look back and laugh now. Not so much fun at the time! I'm amazed to hear you'd do it again. We really need to get up there some time for the fireworks.

KayDee said...

What a crazy time! Glad that you had some fun between all the crazyness and want to go back!

blah, blah by lindsey said...

wow!! sounds like a trip you will never forget ;)

Christine said...

When it rains - it pours! Where did you get those cute shirts for the girls? I have to have one or two of those for my girls.

Anonymous said...

Definately sounds like a trip you'll never forget...

That picture is sweet and I love the red, white and blue flip flops!

andrea said...

Well....it sounds memorable at the least! :)

Glad to hear it was a good fourth, despite the mishaps. I bet the kids had fun anyway. :)

Anonymous said...

I am sorry I missed it. We got to Payson early friday morning and didn't get back until late last night. I got your message when I got home, bummer. We ended up watching a firework show in Payson because we weren't sure where to go in Heber, maybe next year we can get up to Heber, the firework show sounds awesome up there. Sorry about all of the mishaps, I am glad you all made it home safely.

Jen said...

Wow what a weekend! Sounds like you took it all in stride and still had a great time! We want to go up next year and see the show, so maybe we will see you there!

SHERI said...

I thought you guys might be up there this weekend. Heber was crazy- so many people. The fireworks were awesome though. Sorry to hear about all your mishaps!

Webb Family said...

Those family trips are the best because with all the bad stuff is so many good things! And of course it's extra hard to forget those trips!!!
Love the cute picture of your kiddos!!

tammy said...

Cute new background.

Andrea said...

Oh yah, sounds like quite the adventure! But aren't those the ones we remember most? Good memories!

LOVE your new blog look & CUTE scrapbook pages!!