Yep... sometimes the things that are the most simple come so hard for me!! These two goofs give me the hardest time when it comes to going to bed. We are even very nice about it and they still push, push, push. We start at about six getting Pj's on and then we read stories or do Starfall. We then sing three or four church or fun songs and have family prayer. Then we send the three big ones off to their beds while we put the three babies in bed. Yep we have a 7 o'clock bed time at our house. You do not have to go to sleep but you do have to stay in your bed!! Once the three babies are in their cribs I go in do their favorite thing about today, what they are most grateful for and individual prayers, play and tickle and kiss and then lights out. They can have a stuffed animal and a book. They can not however do what Sissy and Miss M are so good at. They get up and pretend they have to pee and play in the water. They jump from bed to bed (bunk beds coming soon!) They turn their bed time music or stories up super loud or come tell they are scared of the same stories they have been listening to for months and the list goes on. We have tried everything, all methods!!! I even told them they could go sleep outside with the dogs if they were going to act like animals. Telling them I put an alarm on the closet doors has at least kept them out of there. So I finally grew some smarts and we have an "I would love too" jar at our house. If I ask you to do something and you say "I would love too" you get a prize. I told the girls when I tell you to go to bed and you do it w/out getting out of your beds and not do all the before mentioned than they can have a prize from the "I would love too" jar first thing in the morning. It was that simple and I do not care if they start their day off with a Gobstopper because I get the break I need at night and in turn save their little hides. I have not had a problem since. I guess it is my fault I have been tortured this long. I should have thought of this sooner!! Getting a Gobstopper seems to be the supreme motivator around here. Worked like a charm!!:):)
10 comments:
i love this idea! you are a genius! i'm totally getting an i would love to jar! FABULOUS! and just in time for the long hot summer where i plan to get my kids to help out. loving this!
and holy crap i'm jealous they go to bed at 7
i used to reign supreme but since lance is home this year , he upped the bedtime to 8 freaking thirty! dang it. but i don't complain since i'm normally gone. but 7 is so nice. i'm jealous! you are super smart!
What a great idea! I don't have a problem with staying in bed but I could certainly use this in other areas of our life. I loved reading about the surprise b-day party (a VERY HAPPY BIRTHDAY to your hubby). I was trying to see everyone that I recognized in the photo. How fun to see faces I haven't seen in a long time!
Ooooh....what a fab idea! you are such a thinker...and glad to hear that someone else's bedtimes are super early too! My kids think 7:30 is WAY too early...but I like my sanity and they get more sleep that way, which they really do need! My two older boys go to bed like a charm...but the baby may be a little harder, since he has been so spoiled by daddy....may have to steal this AMAZING idea in the near future! :)
You are super-Mom. I love your ideas. I am so going to make one of those "I would love to" jars- maybe my kids will stop whining when they are asked to do things around the house!
Smart, smart, smart! I may have to get that with summer around the corner...and I love 7 o'clock bedtime! Worked great for us until the dumb daylight savings time change...now my kids can't handle going to bed when it's so light outside...another reason that we need to be smart like AZ and NOT DO IT! Those girls of yours like to play off each other, don't they?!
Motivation...we all need it. Finding it is another story. Glad that you found something that works!!
;)
You are so smart! At least you figured this out while they are young. I hear of these ideas and think, why didn't I think to do that when my son (almost 12) was young? And nice bedtime! My boys have always been night owls. If I had them asleep too early, they'd be wide awake at 5:00am.
Whatever it takes to get our peace and quiet at night. Our's go to bed at 7 too - even our 12 year old. It's OUR time to relax and spend together without any interruptions. YAY for the sanity moment! And I just may steal your "I would love to..." jar.
That is an awesome idea! I hope it lasts for a REALLY long time at your house! Your girls are adorable!!!
Love the idea!! Gonna have to give it a try!
We had 7pm bed for a long time but a jr high aged girl now - ain't gonna happen for us for a long time now. :(
Post a Comment