I have been asked several times lately by email and in person and a few not so recent comments, sorry... How I do it. The particular question most people ask about is how I keep a clean house with 8 kids. Here is my attempt to let you know what works for me. This may not work for anyone else. I think I posted a condensed version of my cleaning routine a long time ago when asked before. I will be more specific this time.
My philosophy and few disclaimers first. I do not buy into commercial hype.I do not own tons of fancy cleaning supplies.I do not judge other people and their houses unless I have stood and sat in banana on the same visit. Yes that happened to me and it was gross, awkward, and uncomfortable for all.
I buy,
Kirkland disinfectant wipes
Lysol toilet bowl cleaner
Windex
Cleanser
GASP...... that is it. Let's see, give them my money and bring in tons of useless products (my opinion) or simplify and buy home decor instead. I choose option B. People ask ,don't you have sick kids all the time? I do not! My kids have NEVER stayed home from school sick that I can remember. I notice those who go overboard are usually the ones fighting more bugs. Here's the 411 on too much of a good thing. Too many antibacterial items in your home and you are killing off the good bacteria too. The very bacteria that helps your children's immune systems grow. They can not fight cold and flu's with out the good guys, so if you go over board you shoot yourself in the foot so to speak. The only antibacterial thing that comes into my house are the Kirkland wipes used in my bathrooms and my kitchen after I have cooked with eggs or chicken. Please understand, I do what works for me, and I do not have enough time to worry about how clean or dirty someone else's home is.
My first tip to a clean home is this, teach your kids to clean!!!
My one and two year old take their dirty clothes and Pj's to the laundry all by themselves. They can empty the trash from the bathrooms with help from me or an older sibling.They can throw out their own diapers. They can clear their own plate or bowl from the table. All my kids clear their own place at the table.
Philosophy's
#1 teach them young. This gives them a sense of confidence. Praise them no matter what when they are little. When they turn five I praise and correct. IE: " The table sure looks great but I can see there is still syrup here and here, try again." I have them re-do it. I always tell my kids, "If you do not want to do the job twice do it right the first time."
#2 It takes much less time to teach a child to do a chore even if it is not fun teaching them than to do it myself for 40 more years! Plus it's great parent child time if you work it right. When they are first learning we do it together a lot, and we get lots of talking and fun in. Sometimes it gets ugly, SO WHAT, that's life. They do not have to like it, but they do have to do it.
#3 I believe in what my family calls "quick pick ups" when it looks like things are getting out of control we stop and quickly set it right and then move on. It beats and hour a day fighting kids to clean from one end of the house to another.
#4Make sure everything has a place to be. Each item has a home so to speak. Teach your kids this trick. It makes clean up so much easier. IE: In my playroom certain shelves house certain things. There are baskets for blocks, a basket for dress up, a basket for cars, drawers for certain toys..... You get the idea. When it is time to clean the playroom. I assign a kid blocks, another dolls, another play kitchen items etc.... Makes it so much easier and quicker.I do this through out my home. Everything has a place. It doesn't have to be expensive or look like Pottery Barn to accomplish it either.
#5 I do not nor ever had I have a chore chart. I am not saying they are bad or ruling it out. I just have not needed one yet.
#6 Saturdays are for deep cleaning. We work as team. If you miss a Saturday because of scheduling issues so what........ Sometimes deep cleaning is skipped.
#7 always have a squeegee in each shower and teach your kids to use them. Showers and tile are much easier to maintain when the water does not sit on them. Get it off of there, just make it part of the routine.
#8 You don't want to do the job and you would rather pout and sit there, fine sit there! The chore will still be there when your fit is over. This usually only has to happen a few times before my kids realize it is just easier to do the job and get it over with. Mom is not kidding around.
#9 If you see something needs to get done DO IT!! I get tons of little things done each day by just taking the few extra minutes it takes to organize a stack of mail, or wipe something down or move it to it's spot.
#10 Know your limitations and never try to do it all in one day.
I will tackle the specifics in my next post. this was so exciting, I bet you can't wait.......
8 comments:
Hey i LOVED it, keep it coming!
Love the "teach them young", it's sooo true!
I don't buy a million cleaners or fancy gadgets to clean either.
You're so smart to train them while they're young. Can you imagine your life if you didn't stay on top of things? I know I am not happy when there's a mess around for long.
Great tips!!!
I need to buy some squeegee's and I love the quick pick up idea.
I don't own any fancy gadgets either, I did invest in a good vacuum though :)
Great tips. What I want to know is how you feed all 8 kids. I have two kids and they are the most picky and stubborn kids on the planet. I hate trying to make dinner because someone doesn't like it. How have you tackled this problem?
You are right- I CAN'T WAIT!!! :)
What a great post. Thanks so much for this. You are such a wonderful house wife and mother and I want to be just like you. Seriously.
A home for everything totally helps at our house too.
I love you! You make me smile....and we have much of the same ideas on cleaning! Thanks for sharing...keep it coming, I am LOVIN' reading it!!!! :)
Geeze... I can barely keep my one room clean, and it's just me in there... I need to take a few tips from you haha.
I am into the no fancy cleaners and gadgets. Just yesterday I mopped my floor by hand. I did it by hand all my life until they came out with those wetmop thingies. I used it for a while and then realized it just didn't get my floor as clean as I could down on my hands and knees with some pinesol and a rag
Post a Comment