Tuesday, January 26, 2010

Housekeeping


I get asked all the time about how I keep a clean house with 7 kids. First of all, I do what works best for me. I have decdided it's important to some and not to others.I Like the peace I feel when my house is clean. There is enough chaos around here! Who needs a messy house to go with it? I have heard several Mothers who's families are raised and gone say, "I wish I would have cleaned less and played more, they grow up so fast." It made me worry that my way was wrong. I really thought about it and evaluated wether I spent enough time playing with my kids or was I shoving them off in the name of housework? I think I have found a balance that works for our family.
THE QUICK PICK UP:
           We do this several times through out the day. Once before each meal and bedtime. Every kid 2 on up learns how to pick up our family room, living room, and kitchen floor.I RARELY ever have to pick up any thing. I have toys in the play room and in my family room and they all know where they go. I don't really have a sytem for what goes where except blocks and stuffed animals. If a toy gets drug from one room to another who cares, as long as it finds a home at quick pick up time. I have a shoe bench and basket, one for kids shoes and one for Mom and Dad. It makes shoes easy to find and helps them easily pick up and store stuff in the same room. No running stuff all over the house. (I RARELY have to look for a lost shoe.)
VACUUMING & DUSTING:
      I am blessed to not work outside the home, so after breakfast while my hubby does the dishes. I can run the vacuum over our central living area every day. (sometimes 2 or 3 times if needed)  I am not a big believer in wasting my money on hyped up cleaning products that in the end make more work for you anyways. I use a damp rag to dust after my vacuuming is done. I do this about twice a week or as needed. Did you know Dr OZ recamends my way of dusting?  Who knew???  No yucky build up of dusting products, and a damp rag catches the dust instead if sending it flying around your house to cause allergies to act up or to land some where else, only to be moved around later. A damp rag will not ruin any wood furniture remember, damp, not sopping wet.
DISHES:
    My Hubby has  a job that allows him to be home in the morning. I KNOW how lucky I am, believe me! He helps with breakfast and does the dishes every morning. We are just now working on the older three doing the dinner dishes so Dad's job is easier in the morning. YEP, I go do bed with a sink of rinsed dishes everynight and a full dishwsher of clean dishes from that morning, and I have just learned to look the other way. It is one less thing for me to do and I am Sooo grateful!!
SATURDAY CHORES:
    Bedrooms and Bathrooms are deep cleaned and vacuumed every Saturday. C-Dog does the kids Bathroom and Miss M does mine. (she begged to) I usually do a as needed wipe down of the kids bathroom through out the week.
LAUNDRY:
    I HATE laundry....... My kids have a basket in their rooms which they bring to the laundry room and empty each saturday at chore time. I try though to have them undress in the laundry room and leave their dirty clothes in the two baskets I have in front of my washer. I know this will change as they get older.I have two baskets for each room in my house and when the clothes come out of the dryer they are seperated by room. They are folded and put away by room as well. If the kiddo or kiddos who occupy the room are old enough they do the putting away, if they are not old enough they  help me put their clothes away so when they are old enough it will be no biggie to transition to doing it solo.
 DEEP CLEANING:
    Cleaning the fridge and oven I do on a as needed basis. If I see the need and have the time I do it.I organize quite fequently as I see a need also. Sometimes I feel like things are getting out of hand and I spend a day going crazy and decluttering. I LOVE those days.
MEAL TIME:
    My kids as soon as you are out of a booster seat and some before, learn to clear their own spot at the table and then we work as a family team to get each meal picked up. C-Dog and Miss M wipe the counters and help me make sure everything is put away.
 I think thats the basics and because we work together as a family it leaves tons of time to play together. House work is done quickly and together.Our daily routine of quick pick ups is what keeps everything from getting out of hand. So I feel like my house is clean and I am working along side my kids to make it happen and teaching them to be a part of a team and family. It bolsters a kids self esteem to know they can accomplish things and be responsible. We as parents are not doing our kids any favors by providing a clean house for them. Children need to learn independence and the value of work and I do not have a farm and tons of chores to keep them busy so I work with what I have. I can keep a clean house  because we all work together!!!!

7 comments:

Shelley & Scott said...

wow! we have the same philosophy on work i think and almost the same routine. the more kids i got the more i realized there was no way i was going to be able to keep my head above water without their help. plus i am a HUGE believer in a good work ethic. i am not a sane mother if the house is not clean. it stresses me out. so i think the kids prefer to help clean up over the crazy mom.

tammy said...

You have to do what works for you, that's for sure. I have a lot fewer kids than you do, but I kind of have the same philosophy. It's so much easier to stay on top of things, rather than let it go and have to deal with an overwhelming disaster. And it's so important to teach your kids to clean up after themselves too. The thing I need to work on, is not wanting to remake the beds after they make it. I'm trying to get over that.

Micah and Jen said...

impressive! I have set days when I do things. If I don't, then they don't get done. I make my kids clean up after themselves (except the babies....who are learning) and I rarely pick up after any kids. it's wonderful! :) I didn't know about the damp rag thing...I may have to do that now instead. I too have a husband that does most of the dishes around here....it's HEAVEN. I only do the daytime ones (lunch and snack) and he takes care of the rest. I saw an article in Family Fun about moving the plates and cups down to kid level and moving the pots & pans up....I think we may do this as it will help the kids in the kitchen to be more independant....that would be so nice! And laundry....it just stinks! I hate it! and WISH i had a laundry room instead of just a closet with stacking appliances in my kitchen! someday! :) Thanks for sharing all tihs info...very insightful and helpful! :)

KayDee said...

What an amazing job you do at teaching the kids. I do those those things with kade, but the older two are a totally different ballgame. As they get older things change and you have to work out a different way to get things done. I wish I could get the kids to do more to help out but we are all going so many different directions that I usually am the one that ends up doing most of the chores anymore.

andrea said...

Sounds great! I agree with your philosophy....if you need a clean house to be happy, don't put it off to play with your kid, if you aren't happy, you aren't going to be fun to play with, right?! I'm working on getting my kids to understand about helping me getting the house in order...we're getting there! Great ideas with the laundry, I've been contemplating how to get the kids some independence with that, and get it put away too!

mCat said...

You have it down to a science. i would imagine you'd have to.

I also subscribe to the adage of having a clean house, but a LIVED in house.

sherry said...

Sounds perfect. Very different from plopping your kids in front of the t.v so you can spend hours cleaning the house yourself. And you are giving your kids valuable tools for life while spending time with them. This is something I wish I had been better about when my kids were younger....