Sometimes I wonder how my kids cope with me as a Mother? The wrong choices I make sometimes or the harsh things I say w/out thinking or counting to ten like I ask them to do.I have found my answer. I was talking to one of my case workers about play therapy and how it works. We have been wondering if one of my kids needs a little of it. Kids are amazing little creatures because it seems play therapy is just part of their day. Lately I have caught my kids in the act. Miss M and Sissy in their room at night replaying a scenes from that day or that week with each other and their dolly. I hear things such as
"I asked you once, I am not going to ask again!!!"
"Why in the world did you do THAT?"
"I don't ever want to see that again!
"Put your nose against that wall"
and the ever so famous one at our house...
"ONE ,TWO, THREE oops sorry GO TO THE WALL"
I have seen them copy a lot of things I do, Good or bad....
Maybe because Miss M and Sissy are little girls they are more in tune to what I say and how I treat them. Just how I parent in general. I am their role model after all. It really got me thinking about how I treat them and what they see in me as a Mother and a Woman and how I better be on my best behavior!!! Don't get me wrong, I have also seen them hug their dolls and play the role of a loving sweet Mommy. It just struck me that this must be therapy for them if they can role play their frustrations with a Sister and a dolly then maybe they will be ok. They have figured out play therapy all on their own!!
8 comments:
Play therapy was one of the blessing we had growing up because we were so close in age! Sissy and Miss have have that blessing too! I can just see it when they are teenagers!! It makes me laugh to think about it!
Don't we all question what we do on a daily basis? I do! Sounds like my house....there are times I don't enjoy hearing the kids play and be the"mommy".....because sometimes I am kicking myself for what I hear them repeat.
I've been reading yet another parenting book recently, and trying to change my behavior and reactions...yet again! Maybe someday I'll get it figured out. :) Sometimes 10 is too hard to count to!
This also sounds like my house, there are days they make you crazy. However, they ves of my life and yes, it's great when they can paly together AND get along when doing it!
I think we all question our mothering abilities at some point, and wonder what our kids are learning from us, and how they see us.
My little girl does this same thing. It's humbling to see my bad behavior reenacted in a 3 year old.
ps: Who said we were supposed to be perfect parents? I know I am not that is for sure! I think if we were given instructions on all our kids we would be better and know just what every kids needs and wants! We can not worry on a daily basis what we do wrong or have done wrong! We just try and better ourselves every day and It is good for our kids to know that we are not perfect! Were our parents perfect? Heck NO! But do we love them and thank them everyday for the way they raised us! Yes!!! We as mothers need to take it easier on ourselves and not let Satan destroy us from the inside out! Especially with discouragement and doubt!
I am not saying this as a judgement, just as a realization I have come to in MY parenting!
when i hear samantha re-enacting the days events..i want to put myself in the corner! i guess we all learn from our actions
Thank you! Just knowing from someone that isn't involved in it all that they were having fun makes me feel a million times better....I'm sure you understand that! :) Only a couple more weeks! I loved this post...it's so true and really makes me stop and think....thank you for being so honest!
Post a Comment